I-44 open after fatal wreck closed lanes | News
NEWCASTLE, Okla. — The Oklahoma Highway Patrol closed westbound lanes of I-44 after a fatal wreck involving a car and a semi tractor trailer.
According to the OHP a vehicle was backing-up on the interstate about 3:30 a.m. Monday when a semi traveling westbound crashed into the car.
The driver of the car died at the scene, I-44 at marker 107, near the Newcastle exit.
Traffic was diverted off the interstate onto the service road for several hours while authorities investigated and cleaned-up the wreckage.
The back end of the car was destroyed by the impact.
The westbound lanes of I-44 were re-opened about 7 a.m.
Authorities have not released the identity of the driver who died.
Upcoming Events near Chickasha
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Allergy Alert: Cedar pollen very high, sufferers should just stay indoors
- Oklahoma Rep. authors bill warning of dangers of tongue piercing
- Put aside winter blues, temps soaring to the upper 70′s tomorrow, but fire danger high
- Cholesterol lowering drug being recalled for second time in two years
- Tornado, severe weather safety tips for drivers