I-44 open after fatal wreck closed lanes | News
NEWCASTLE, Okla. — The Oklahoma Highway Patrol closed westbound lanes of I-44 after a fatal wreck involving a car and a semi tractor trailer.
According to the OHP a vehicle was backing-up on the interstate about 3:30 a.m. Monday when a semi traveling westbound crashed into the car.
The driver of the car died at the scene, I-44 at marker 107, near the Newcastle exit.
Traffic was diverted off the interstate onto the service road for several hours while authorities investigated and cleaned-up the wreckage.
The back end of the car was destroyed by the impact.
The westbound lanes of I-44 were re-opened about 7 a.m.
Authorities have not released the identity of the driver who died.
Upcoming Events near Chickasha
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- “We will never forget” Oklahomans gather to remember 19 years after bombing
- UPDATE: State Superintendent Barresi responds to “no confidence” petition
- Local food bank seeks volunteers to help sort food for hungry Oklahomans
- Local university to honor OKC bombing anniversary with flags
- Popular website helps Oklahoma family after tragic accident